Friday, May 3, 2013

When Am I Ever Going to Need This?

How many times have you heard your child whine, "When am I ever going to need this?"

When do they ask the question (if it even counts as a question)? I've typically heard it during grueling math or science lessons.

Have you heard your child ask the question about writing?

I can't speak for the usefulness of higher level math or science for the non-math and science majors, although the information and skills have helped me in homeschooling, a calling I never anticipated as a young mom, let alone a young student. What about writing? Will your kids need it?  Should it be a priority in your homeschooling program?

I say a resounding yes, but what does that matter, especially to your children?

Sometimes ideas come at the strangest times and places. Last night, as I was hanging laundry under the night sky, this one came. I want to compile a list of dads, moms, and their professions and how/when they've needed to write as an adult.

I'm wondering if we can make a convincing case that writing is an important skill, worthy of our students' time, thought, and energy.

Leave your comments here. I'll share the results in a future post.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! I need to think of some of my more unusual writing venues. I write constantly, and certainly in ways that I never would have anticipated as an English major!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...